10 Ways to Enjoy the Summer While Beating the Heat
Summer is here and that means we start spending more time outside, but that also means that the dog days of summer are right around the corner. Be aware of the weather when planning your day, there are plenty of activities anyone can take part in whether inside or outside. It is possible for you to appreciate the summer months without having to be outside for long periods of time – if at all.
Whether you live independently or in a retirement, assisted living or memory care community, there are always opportunities to relax and appreciate summer.
Here’s a list of 10 ways you can beat the heat and enjoy the summer months:
- Take a short walk around the property. Go early in the morning or later in the evening – and consider bringing a friend with you. Remember it doesn’t have to be a long walk, keep it short and bring along something cool to drink.
- Purchase a new book specifically for the summer. Reading a themed novel can make you feel like you’re at the beach or someplace exotic. There are many great books set in places like Cape Cod, Nantucket or the exquisite beaches of the Caribbean.
- Do you enjoy a good puzzle? If so, pick a summer themed puzzle – one with beaches, rivers or lake houses. Puzzles can conjure up happy memories of summers past while making you appreciate the beautiful landscapes that summer brings.
- Don’t forget to join in the fun! Does your community have an events calendar? Set some goals and try to participate in two or three pre-planned community activities each month. Joining in is easier if something is already planned, and chances are many of the activities will be summer themed.
- Feel like staying in? That’s okay, then sit by the window and feel the sun on your face. If you’ve been cooped up inside, sometimes a simple seat by the window feeling the warmth on your skin is all you need to feel relaxed and invigorated.
- Just like a good puzzle, board games can ease your boredom. Grab one of those board games that are collecting dust. Or, grab a deck of cards and some friends and sit back, relax and show off your competitive side. You can also combine a board game with number 5 above…and put the table by a window so you can feel the warmth on your skin!
- Tired from your morning walk or community event? Then take a cat nap. Sometimes a 45-90-minute nap in between activities is the best way to get through your day. This is also something you can enjoy any time of the year – so never underestimate the power of a nap.
- Don’t forget an art project. Make a wreath or some type of hanging art for your door. Use bright colors, flowers and ribbon to celebrate summer. Every time you open your door you’ll be reminded to enjoy the warmer weather while it lasts!
- On cooler summer days, try bird watching. It’s the perfect time of the year to sit back and enjoy hearing the sweet songs of birds and the simple smell of summer. Take a few moments to enjoy nature at its finest. Remember…avoid being outside during the hottest times of the day, consider early morning or later in the evening.
- Finally, be a kid again and try a coloring activity. Yes, we said it – color a picture or two! Adult coloring books are popular these days. They promote relaxation and down time, while creating a beautiful piece of artwork. You can find simple coloring pages or more complex books at retail and grocery stores all over. Whatever you coloring book you choose, consider bright colors to help you get in the summer mood. Plus, adult coloring books promote relaxation and can relieve stress.
No matter what you choose to do this summer, we hope it’s fun and relaxing! Just remember not to overdo your time outside, and as the weather becomes hotter, be sure to spend smaller amounts of time in the great outdoors. Finally, don’t forget sunblock, Chap Stick and ice cold water, just in case.